ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
irmao1
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
Choosing prime lens for Canon 7D
Aug 16, 2012

Hi everyone.

My name is sergio, portuguese and i own a powershot s95. The reason that a bought this one, was first because i needed a small camera (pocketable) but with manual controls so i could learn fotography. And i did. I’m not that kind of person that is always buying cameras and do not like to sell and buy stuffs but now a need and want to step up to a new battle. A lot of people says that we should buy a good lens first and a cheper body and then replace the body. But as i said, i do not feel well on selling and buying cameras all the time. It isn’t me.

So i’m thinking on buying a Canon 7D or, because of my budget a 60D. I can spend 2000euros. I will just buy canon.

I analised my photos and i realised that most of then are shot in 28mm (75%), 50mm (15%) and the rest with other focal lenght.

I shot portraits, landscapes and indoors ( the f2.0 of the powershot is a must), so i need a fast lens and also want to try something new ( like tele photo – does not need to be now).
I really do not want a kit lens.

My idea, and since i’m not a professional and this camera is to last some years, is to buy a prime lens in the beginning and after that to expand accordingly my needs with a zoom lens.

I was thinking in something like a 35mm f/2.0 and a 85mm f/1.8. These two lens and the camera is about 2000euros. With this i travel light and if i want other focal lenght or portability i still have the s95.

I really love the 7D, and since i want a camera with 2 dials, the only option is the 60D.
I need your advice. I now have this options:
1 – Canon 7D + 35mm f/2.0 + 85mm f/1.8 – 2000 euros
2 – Canon 7D + EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - 2400 euros
3 – Canon 60D + 35mm f/2.0 + 85mm f/1.8 – 1620euros
4 – Canon 60D + EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM – 1900 euros
5 – Canon 60D + EF 17-40mm f/4.0 USM L – 1800 euros
I can also buy a 7D with a 35mm and see how things flow…

So can you help me choosing my system? Can i think like this? Or you thing i shoul buy another system.

Thanks

Leave you with some of my photos taken with my powershot S95.

irmao1's gear list:irmao1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow