Hey CaNikon, how about an ETTR metering mode for us RAW shooters?

Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,769Gear list
Like?
Re: Hey CaNikon, how about an ETTR metering mode for us RAW shooters?
In reply to Jack Hogan, Aug 16, 2012

Nikon already has that. It is called Active D-Lighting (or ADL for short), done with Matrix Metering and ADL set to high or extra high. You must use Nikon's software (either ViewNX2 or CaptureNX2),to process the RAW image in order to get the proper result though, or alternatively shoot JPEG out of the camera.
This is what Nikon says about Active D-Lighting.

"Nikon's exclusive Active D-Lighting offers the ability to preserve details in the highlights and shadowy areas of images shot in high-contrast scenes such as those that are backlit. "
You can read more about Nikon's ADL here:
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7000/features01.htm

As an example, I shot this in RAW mode ADL turned off.

And this second shot was with ADL turned ON to extra high, and processed with Nikon's ViewNX2 software. Note that the ADL automatically dropped the camera's exposure by one stop , and as a result you can see, the sky detail is retained with ADL turned ON. Nikon's ADL takes the guesswork out of ETTR by reducing the exposure and lifting the shadows for you, which is what you are wanting, right?

Note: Neither photos had any manual lighting adjustments done in PP. They are seen just as they first appeared in ViewNX2 after RAW conversion. Any tonal adjustments in the second photo were done automatically by the ADL process. I can also lift the shadows even more manually, if I chose, but for the purpose of this demonstration, I have not done so.

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow