Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PBasepeterb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,439
Like?
e510 replacement
Aug 16, 2012

I'll be headed to the canyon country of Utah in a couple of weeks. I purchased my e510 in 2007 just before my last trip there. The e510 has served me well but, a couple of days ago I powered it on and it came on and shut off while in use. I turned it of and it came on but immediately shut down again. I hate that sick feeling I get when stuff like this happens. In addition to the kit lenses I have the 11-22 and 50mm Zuiko macro. I figured that I'd have to replace the e510 someday but the timing is really bad. Funds are low since the ecomomy has reduced my earning power and we are extended just to afford this trip.

I fiddled with the e510 some more and it seems to be the power switch. If you push it too far (beyond the 'on' setting) it powers down. If I'm careful, I can use it but if I bump the power switch the wrong way it powers down. That's probably not good for the lenses if they are in mid-focus. I'm also afraid that it will die completely in the middle of a scenic hike in Utah.

I started to poke around to see what was available for an inexpensive back up camera and I discovered that I could get a "like new" e510 body with charger, battery and a couple of memory cards for $205. Not money I wanted to spend right now but it did ease that queasy feeling I get when I think of life without my beloved e510 and 11-22. I can write off the expense since I use the camera for my blog and articles so the sting isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Just one of the good points of using an unpopular model camera from a "dying" system...cheap bodies.

-- hide signature --

Keep your lens clean and your mind open.
http://www.pbase.com/peterb/

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow