Warning: Weak plastic buckles on E-5 strap

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Keep my E-5 & strap in a pouch
In reply to philosomatographer, Aug 16, 2012

Thanks for the warning. I checked my strap sinch/keepers really closely yesterday before going out on a hike. They look fine for now but I will consider what Tim suggested, sewing the straps and tossing the buckles. All they do is keep the strap from slipping. I like the Olympus strap because it's less bulky, it doesn't have big hard buckles that scratch the camera and it can fold up into a pouch easily when I'm not shooting.

Most of the time I carry my E-3/E-5 in a Tamrac camera pouch. I have one that fits the camera with grip and lenses up to & including to the 50-200. The Tamrac pouch # is 5627. I also have a Lowepro pouch that fits the camera, grip and 35-100 mm f/2 lens, but that pouch does not get used a lot because of the way I use the camera with that lens.

I carry the camera slung over one shoulder in the pouch when I'm hiking, biking or out on the beach in the sun. It keeps the camera safe from scratches, bumps, dirt and damage when I'm bushwacking or if I fall on the trail.

The pouch carries the weight most of the time. I have the camera and pouch straps adjusted so the weight is on the larger pouch strap, on my shoulder, not on my neck. I also removed the big metal pouch QR buckle and just threaded the strap through the bid D loops with a couple of strap keepers. Why have hard buckles on a camera strap or case?

I'm going to check those Olympus strap keepers more carefully and may replace them with a metal version soon. Thanks again. The are lots of good tips here on alternate straps.
--
Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow