Why I'm spending $7500 on my 1st day of photography school

Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Cy Cheze
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?
Conflict zone photographer? Snacks and beer a saner pursuit.
In reply to kysersosai, Aug 16, 2012

kysersosai wrote:

I want to be a Conflict Zone Photographer. PJ. A few people have told me that I need a Journalism degree, I need to do more research.

So you want to do "Restrepo II" or maybe follow in the footsteps (boom) of João Silva?

Maybe you should study the languages of Somalia, Sudan, Waziristan, Khandahar, or certain hate groups. How else will you negotiate your way into the places where there is shooting, explosions, or mayhem?

No one will pay you to bring back pictures of rearguard encampments, troops on R&R, or fortified landing fields. If your intention is to free-lance, there will be transportation and other costs to consider, not to mention ransom payments to kidnappers, "insurance" fees demanded by warlords, to or "fines" officials suddenly decide to charge.

A camera is a pretty scrawny weapon and feable way to stay protected. People in conflict (lawless) zones tend to be very hungry and ruthless. $7,500 fetched from sale of stolen camera equipment will be quite a prize. Or combatants may think you are a spy, a propaganda agent for an enemy, or mistake the camera for a weapon. It has happened.

A small rugged P&S, with GPS, might be less conspicuous and work just as well when you have to duck gunfire all the time.

Better to abandon photography and dedicate yourself to something less hazardous, like snack binges and boozing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow