Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BruceB609
Regular MemberPosts: 341Gear list
Like?
RAW or TIFF image size options?
Aug 16, 2012

Does anyone have any input on a possibility for smaller RAW file options on the huge files today or tomorrow?

Personally, I rarely need to shoot at full resolutions now. It can actually create inconvenience, unnecessary work and waiting later, especially with a slower computer. However, looking into the future, why must Olympus (or Nikon) only offer RAW at full resolution? I know this suddenly invites a debate on the definition of RAW integrity etc., but for me, resolution is not the essential element of photo quality (aesthetic) as much as it is graphic definition. Is this just because a smaller "RAW" file would compromise a technical ideal or perception? Resolution is going way over what makes a superlative image but RAW has limited use or even advantages if not available at different file sizes. To me, RAW isn't about the number of pixels as much as other data needed for ACR.

I use a 5 megapixel E-1 along with a 16 megapixel D7000 and, as much as I'd prefer to have it all in an updated E-1 anyway, I'm a fine artist and always feel better (and do better) heading out with both cameras.

The same thing applies to TIFF. Is there any reason not to have smaller TIFF options? I believe TIFF seems to have vanished from Olympus EM-5 and seems to be reserved for Nikon pro bodies but it's a more universal file since it will open either in PS or ACR and I can still get the best out of the capture. I can't complain about TIFF file sizes considering all camera specs and speeds today.
--
BruceWB

BruceB609's gear list:BruceB609's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II +5 more
Nikon D7000 Olympus E-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow