Still liking the X10...a lot

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,300Gear list
Like?
Re: Still liking the X10...a lot
In reply to TomJ, Aug 16, 2012

TomJ wrote:

.... For me, the X10 is a nice balance between a compact form factor, yet very capable image making machine. It is a point and shoot which can be handed over to a waiter in a restaurant to easily snap a "memory photo" and it is also a more "serious camera" to create photographs that will later be enlarged, exhibited or published.

I have two shows opening in the upcoming weeks in art galleries. In one of those shows, my X10 was used for approximately half of the 16 images. For the others, a Canon 7D or 5D Mark II was used. In terms of purely technical quality, the X10 images are as excellent as any made from the other cameras. I printed the images on beautiful 17" x 22" Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin paper and other than the different aspect ratios one could not tell which were shot with the X10 compared to the DSLRs.

Of course no camera is perfect for everyone or in every way, but the X10 does a great job for me in many kinds of shooting situations.

Just came back from a vacation, otherwise I would have responded sooner. I agree 100% with the above. Here's how I reviewed the X10 on the B&H web site:

"There is no better camera. There are larger cameras. There are smaller cameras. There are faster cameras. There are cameras with more flexibility. There are cameras that let you change lenses. There are cameras with larger, more accurate viewfinders. There are cameras with significantly higher frame rates. There are cameras with a wider zoom range. There are fixed lens cameras with larger maximum apertures, etc., etc., etc. But if your bottom line is image quality across a wide range of conditions and environments ... especially in compact package ... there is no better camera than the Fuji X10. I've thrown every kind of shooting challenge at this camera, and it has consistently come through with superior, gorgeous images. I've made prints to 17" X 22" that rival those from my original Canon 1Ds, originally an $8,000 11.1MP DSLR. I've done side-by-sides with my Canon 5D, Canon t3i and Canon 40D. The Fuji X10 compares favorably, I kid you not. It easily beats my older Olympus bodies.Yes, it has its quirks. Name a camera that doesn't! But the quirks do not get in the way and do not at all affect image quality. For example, some complain about the comparatively short battery life. Big deal. Get some spare batteries.The Fuji X10 is simple in design, but it's a full-featured, professional-level tool whose heart is yet another unique and highly capable sensor from Fuji. It does take some getting used to. One should not pass judgement on this camera without taking the time to learn it through and through. If one can do that, one will be rewarded with a contemporary, highly capable digital camera with state-of-the-art image quality."

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
http://www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow