Are you willing to let film die off? How do you really feel?

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list
Like?
Re: Turn the tables
In reply to caterpillar, Aug 16, 2012

caterpillar wrote:

edu T wrote:

Now, would this situation be worse than how your own posterity may yet have to cope with the current (2012) infestation of proprietary/partially encrypted (and sometimes sensor/model-specific) RAW formats?

I don't it a real issue as the standards have evolved and archive standards are for more usable now. Best way to preserve film...lock it away where few can see it.

I lost all my old photos in a flood....My digital work won't suffer from that...it's even fire proof.

That would be a leap of faith compared to "Please be aware that your floppy discs are very old now and that we therefore cannot guarantee that your old disks will be technically readable at all." ( http://www.datarecoverymasters.com/floppydiskcopy.php , a transcribing service.)

Anyway, you can see what I was talking about above was data preservation across biological --not technological-- generations.

What makes you think it would be easier with film. With digital, there is chance for us to find old floppy diskette drives, or even controller cards or whatever in junk shops, etc. At least I can find them here in our country. 20 or so years from now, where in the world will you go when the labs that print film no longer exist? Now you are holding a negative with nowhere to go. You will now have to digitize them, ergo go to the process of now keeping the digital files, which you have shunned in the first place . . .

Have I "shunned digital files in the first place"? Please re-read my few entries and take your time to try to find and quote something that you could have (mis) understood as that.

This is much easier to cite back: I just pointed out that digital storage as archivial media also (that is, as well as film) has serious shortcomings of its own which need to be addressed... before we start relying upon RAW files on flash drives in a cigar box to bequeath our imagery to posterity.
Edit: Apologies accepted in advance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WhyNew
EasyNew
YepNew
(unknown member)
Why?New
(unknown member)
moodNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
SureNew
(unknown member)
fewNew
20%New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow