Europe Trip Help please

Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Snodayz
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
One Body, One Lens.
In reply to pbmb, Aug 16, 2012

The only thing I know for sure is I will be spending 4 to 5 nights in ROME, Where my family will be (no kids). And maybe 4 to 5 days in Grindelwald (Swiss) skiing. The rest I have no idea yet (open for suggestions but on a low budjet). I needed a break to my self and decided give my self this present. My main goal is take as many pictures as I can, have fun doing it to my self!

Sorry for the long introduction, here comes my question: What should I bring? Any other tip is welcome! If you need to know anything else let me know. Thought I coud bring my D700 + 24-70 2.8 as my main kit, and...

Here is my gear bag:

D700 / D300 / D7000 bodys
Nikkors 14-24 / 24-70 / 70-200 (all 2.8) + 1 polarizing filter
Nikkors 60 micro 35 f/1.8 (DX)
Tamrom - 17-50 f/2.8 (DX, I think)
SB 600 / 700 / 900
Manfrotto 055XPROB Aluminum Tripod and 496RC2 head
Manfrotto Monopod
Lowepro Pro Runner 350 AW Bag
Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW (or similar cant remember exactly)
Black Rapid Straps

I don't really mind weight and size, but since I had all my equipment stolen once in Brazil, safety is a concern.

I may be willing to by a lighter tripod but not new lenses (cant afford anything else right now).

Some concerns I have since I never travelled with my gear nether been around snow with it.

• Flying with the gear (want to keep it as close as possible)

• Snow (cold) vs equipment

really thankful for any help, suggestions, or tips I can get!

Of all the gear you list, I'd be taking the D700 and the 24 - 70mm. That's it. Oh, alright, maybe a tripod and a flash if you really must. I've travelled extensively in Europe from the southern hemisphere and survived on exactly that over several long trips. The 24-70 is a very flexible lens and the D700 the best of the three bodies. You're going to need to carry it hand luggage on flights if you want to keep it secure, yet they are cracking down on hand luggage weights - I've had my hand luggage weighed twice in the last few years. And where do you store all that kit when you are out and about? Leaving it in a hotel room is not a good idea. With light kit, almost any bag will do to carry it and I sometimes buy a cheap sports bag when I arrive and ditch it again when I leave.

I have several quality long zooms and telephoto lenses, but never really see a use for them in travel type photography. Ditto the 14-24mm, I hardly use it at home even 'though it gives great results, and wouldn't consider it on a trip like yours because of it's weight and size and the limited times you'll need it. The D700 has a flash for daylight fill, think ahead in the type of photography you'll be doing, will you really need a separate flash? A travel tripod will reduce the need for flash, help toward sharper photos and greatly assist creative work, so I'd carry it ahead of a separate flash or other lenses.

Think about it, D700 + 24-70mm can give results photographers could only dream about a decade ago. Put your energies into thinking creatively how to best employ this limited but quality kit, instead of expending it lugging around all the gear you could have left at home.

Snodayz's gear list:Snodayz's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow