Debating on which lens for concert photography

Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kelvin L
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Re: try going wider
In reply to Josh Jones, Aug 16, 2012

I think something like a 17-50 2.8 would fit the bill nicely - I have used the Sigma before and it's pretty good for what it is. I hear the Tamron isn't bad too. I haven't tried the Nikon due to cost and size, but I hear it's a good lens.

The Tokina 11-16 sounds pretty funky but it would probably be too much of a handful on location (unless they are fine with you lying in the middle of the stage), and the perspective effects might be too wacky for your average musician, not to mention getting extraneous crap in the frame.

I tend not to go wider than 24mm on 35mm film / full-frame but I think the options for an equivalent prime on DX is limited. The Sigma zoom may not be the sharpest lens on the block, but in reality you're unlikely to achieve micro level sharpness with the high ISOs, handheld cameras and wiggling musicians out in the field.

I'm not saying that a tele won't be needed though, there are times when you just can't get close enough. I have 85mm and 180mm primes and prefer them due to light weight and smaller size to the 70-200 2.8 bazookas. Sounds like you are off to a good start already with your 85mm, but I recommend hiring/borrowing a 70-200 2.8VR to see if it suits your technique.

Cheers

Josh Jones wrote:

Any wide angle suggestions?

a) Rokinon 14/2.8 (possibly limited)
b) Tokina 11-16/2.8 (possibly will be slightly limited)
c) Nikon 17-55/2.8
d) Sigma 17-50/2.8 (probably my best bet)
e) Nikon 17-35/2.8 (a little more than I want to pay for at this time)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow