When is Photokina?

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Zhaopian
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax/Ricoh and the yellow brick
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Aug 16, 2012

I don't see any reason to think Ricoh won't have something to show. I see no reason to doubt the GXR has been successful. The announced production volumes were not particularly large and at the same time it has gained a lot more attention than I can remember other Ricoh cameras getting. Even here in Russia where you have to import your own there seems to be a fair number of them around. They ought to have settled the structuring of Ricoh-Pentax by now. I imagine it will be along the lines of mass market SLR and SLR replacement interchangeable lens system cameras from Pentax and niche cameras for enthusiasts from Ricoh. IMO news reports about uncertainty over what compact cameras will be called is a red herring. Compact cameras is a dying market.

At Photokina or sometime this autumn I expect to see a GXRII body and updated viewfinder launched together with an A16-21 or A16-35 module that brings speed of operation up to the level of a NEX-5n and has improved AF.

I also expect there to be a GRDV with the Sony 1 inch sensor.

There may be an announcement that the next module will be whichever of the 21 and 35 is not released this year.

There may be a compact 'travel zoom' module based on the 1 inch sensor.

There may be a GRDV monochrome (Ricoh said they were working on a BW compact).

Given that Pentax is supposedly 'confirmed' to be bringing out a FF SLR with Sony's impending 'cheap' 24 mp sensor, I believe there is a good chance Ricoh will make a FF M-mount camera. I doubt it will be the GXR, I predict the GRM will be thick enough for the mount to be flush with the body, somewhere between an X100 and an X-pro 1 in size. It will have a built in EVF and cost double what the GXR costs. I predict next summer for launch.

I believe the GXR should be regarded as a series of compact cameras with a shared back rather than an ILC, so I doubt there will ever be a portrait prime released. I predict the A12-50 will be refreshed next autumn. The 12 to 16 jump doesn't give much gain in IQ, but the gains in speed and improved AF will make it worthwhile. The M will be refreshed after the 50 and 28

Ricoh line up over the next couple of years to be:
GRDV
GRDV monochrome

GXR A16 zoom
GXR A16 21
GXR A16 28
GXR A16 35
GXR A16 50
GXR A16 mount

GRM

Zhaopian's gear list:Zhaopian's gear list
Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow