Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thubleau7
Contributing MemberPosts: 516
Like?
Fast SD Cards Tested ....Don't waste your money
Aug 16, 2012

I tested 3 cards today a Sandisk Extreme pro UHS-I at 95/mb/sec a Sony pro Duo 45/mb/sec and a Transcend 45/mb/sec all class 10 cards

The test was done using an A57 at 640th/sec same scene for all and same file size of 16M/fine/JPEG

After the results i did not bother to test the 60/mb/sec card from Kingston.
Method one: shoot for one minute with shutter pressed
Method two: shoot bursts for I minute allowing 5 seconds between bursts.

Allowing for 5% error the results show that there is no difference between any of the cards and the higher speed is wasted on the A57

The Sandisk shot 143 frames in method one and 142 frames in method two.
The Sony Pro duo shot 138 frames in method one and 136 frames in method two
The Transcend shot 143 frames in method 1 and 138 frames in method two.

I have also inluded the CMD3 scores below but I would not place much credence in them as the card reader was a USB 2 device and from what I have read the actual real world transfer rate of data by a USB 2 device is 30/mb/sec so on that figure alone it would be impossible to accurately get a accurate score on any of the cards.

The Computer was an i7 2700K CPU clocked at 4.5 ghz using 16 gigabytes of ram running Windows 7 64 bit.

I have to conclude that the fast cards are a waste of money on the A57 any 45 mb/sec will do the job the same as the most expensive cards.

Transcend Card

Sony Pro Duo

Sandisk Extreme Pro

Samsung i7 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow