ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Nikon Shooter Considering System Switch: D7000 -> 60D
Aug 16, 2012

Hello, Canon shooters.

Like the subject says, I'm thinking about jumping systems. I thought I'd ask a few questions here to help inform my decision.

The story is this: I've been shooting portraits, fashion, and commercial work with a D7000 for 18 months. It's not a huge business, mind you--but I'm having fun and making some money.

In general, I like what's possible with the D7000's output. And I love Nikon's creative lighting system. But the longer I've been shooting the D7000 (and the longer I'm in the Nikon system, in general) there are a few things that are really galling me:

• D7000 Live View is freaking terrible. Focus speed isn't bad, but there's no exposure meter, no live histogram, and no aperture changes while framing the shot! I've come to understand that Canon's bodies have a leg-up, here. Is that true?

• Nikon gear is never in stock. It's crazy. Even before the natural disasters of 2011, there were six-month stretches where only one or two bodies were available. Pro lenses are the same story: get lucky, or get in line. From what I can tell, Canon is pretty good about keeping gear available--is that true?

• Recent Nikon lenses are terrific: silent AF-S focusing, durable plastic-shell build, etc. But I'm to understand that many of their Canon counterparts have had those attributes for a decade or more, and they often cost 30 - 50% less for the pleasure.

• Nikon RAW files don't convert well in Adobe Camera Raw without quite a bit of work. ACR (so, Lightroom) renders deeply flat colors and leans toward the yellow-green end of the spectrum. You'll love your product while you're in the field, only to come home and see an SD card full of pale yellow-green ghouls--and hours of color-correction work to get it "back" to your in-camera results, let alone take it where it really needs to be. I'm told ACR gets closer-to-OEM results with Canon RAW. Is that true?

• Nikon's own RAW conversion software is a total joke. It doesn't even have lossless rotation / cropping. I'm told that Canon's DPP is pretty good. Has anyone here also used Nikon's optimistically-named "View" NX2? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the comparison.

• I don't want to re-hash oft-argued D7000 focus precision issues, except that it seems the new D800 is doing it for me.

So, I've found myself casting side-long glances at the Canon 60D. Generally, I've been thinking of trying it along with the new 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens. Does anyone here own that combination? (I've done a search, but no dice.) I'd love to see some of your favorite sample shots if you do!

I'd make the leap, but there are a few things that concern me:

• The D7000 has two SD card slots, and I like the instant backup. Anyone here miss having only one with the 60D?

• The D7000 also has autofocus fine-tune, which--at least on that body--I've found to be really important for phase-detect AF accuracy at wide apertures. I notice that the 60D doesn't have it: does anyone miss it?

• How is flash exposure with Canon speedlights using the 60D as a remote commander? I'm very impressed by the new integrated radio-system Canon lights, but exposure accuracy is key: there are so many situations where shooting off-camera lights on-the-fly is useful, and it'd be a deal-breaker if Canon didn't really have this sorted out.

Last, in the price range I'm willing to spend (~ $1000), I note that I could pick up a pristine used Canon 5D. Full frame offers so many advantages, but the 60D offers 7 years of advancement in sensor and mechanical performance--what are your thoughts on whether they outweigh the full frame advantage?

Thanks so much, Canonites. If the grass really is greener on your side, I'm headed your way.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow