D3S low light AF behavior - blind in the dark?

Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nikoj
Contributing MemberPosts: 782Gear list
Like?
D3S low light AF behavior - blind in the dark?
Aug 16, 2012

Hi, I need some help... Just picked up a used D3S (15k shutter clicks verified on my mac's preview inspector) today and just did some shooting around the house. I've shot it with my 35 1.4g and 24-70 and I am seeing some problem with AF shooting in dark environment with the lens wide open. It almost seems like it's blind and locks focus on the brightest target rather than the intended focus point. It tends to hunt a lot... I tried both lenses on my D700 at same settings and the same lenses do not struggle nor does it lock focus on the brightest subject in the scene. I've tried shooting in AF-S, AF-C and the problem is consistent, regardless. Any ideas out there what could be off? Been shooting at ISO 2000 to 6400, and my reason for the purchase was for sole purpose of getting cleaner files at high ISO in low light vs what I am already getting from D700. I also have rented D3S that did not have this problem. It also did not have this problem when I tried it during noon day light at ISO 200 when I made the purchase. So what gives?

nikoj's gear list:nikoj's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow