Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,549
Like?
Adobe DNG - Revisited
Aug 15, 2012

Now that some time has passed, I want to return to the subject of the newer lossy compression version of Adobe DNG.

I still really like being able to cut file sizes by 50% and more. And I really like being able to embed the parameter files. So far, I havn't seen any image quality issues.

My practice has, to now, been to work with standard raw files for initial conversions, and then, once the assignment is finished and the obligation for the client completely fulfilled, convert the raw files to compressed DNG format for archiving.

I am considering, however, running the conversion to DNG at the beginning of the process rather than at the end. I do a lot of sorting of image files into project sub-folders, and this would save a LOT of redundant action to be able to do it on the front end before the set is culled and sorted. Before I do, I want to make sure that I don't overlook something.

Other than issues of compatibility, have any of you using it encountered any disadvantages? I use ACR 7 and Lightroom 4. No chance of using anything else, so compatibility is not an issue.

Thanks for your input.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow