Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,416Gear list
Like?
RX100 - Beach and low light concert photos
Aug 15, 2012

I just spent a few days at the Jersey Shore and only shot with the RX100. It did nicely for the beach and cloud shots, as I figured it would. But we also stumbled onto a Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes concert on Monday night and scored second row seats. I took the RX100 since I had it with me. If I'd known about the show in advance and known they'd be as open to photography I'd have brought the OMD and 45mm f1.8 lens. But the RX100 acquitted itself remarkably well. Everything I shot was at ISO 3200 and nearly everything at full zoom, so f4.9. The OMD would have done a lot better at f1.8, but this did very very well.

In short, this camera continues to impress. I'd still take my OMD or X-Pro for photo specific tasks where I'm going out primarily to shoot - they're both a lot more capable and more fun to shoot with. But for light travel or situations where you might not otherwise take a camera, this little guy can handle an awful lot. I still don't particularly like its handling - give me this sensor in an LX7 body with the LX7 controls and I'd be thrilled. But until something like that is available, this camera will keep me very very happy in the "compact" slot...

First, the concert shots:

And a few sunset and storm-cloud photos - for those of you who like literalist processing, forgive my excesses:

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow