Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JerroldR
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
24-105L lens has a MAJOR design flaw.
Aug 15, 2012

I bought the 5D mk2 when it first came out to major fanfare. I, like most shooters, was in love with it and used it exclusively. Within a few months the USB port went out due to regular use. Hmmm. Not good, but I continue to use and love it, who needs a USB port anyways? I use it for everything, even bought a sweet HDMI monitor for it. Then the HDMI port went out. S#¡T! Grin and bear it until I can be without my camera for 2 weeks and shell out the $500 since I'm out of warranty. Whatever. Then the final straw. I'm getting flared in a backlit shot. I pull the UV filter and notice a mark dead center of the lens. Upon inspection, the filter threads dip below the front element! The lens is not built to the specs of EVERY lens on the market today! I decide to see if other people have the same problem. There is a thread on the web where a concumer asks Canon about the issue and they proceed to say the Filter was made before the lens so it is not compatible. WTF?!? Doesn't this mean that Canon did not make the lens to standard spec? Then Canon proceeds to advise the consumer to NOT use any filter since the lenses are coated. OK, throw caution to the wind and expose your front element to the elements? Shame on you Canon, I now have a $1200 scratched lens, and a camera that can't kick out an image, but I know, it's my fault. I tried to use the 5D like a professional cinema tool, sadly it is only a still camera.

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow