NEX-5n meets Boeing B-17G

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kookie B
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-5n meets Boeing B-17G
In reply to ikendu, Aug 15, 2012

As the OP, I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to this posting. I sincerely appreciate all of the comments, good, bad, and indifferent.

A few responses:

Ah, the fire extinguisher! Even while photographing the plane this was an element about which I had/have very mixed feelings. In fact, I was able to get the crew to move it for a few moments but they insisted in replacing it very quickly. Obviously, this is something the want readily available and in close proximity to the plane. My rationale for leaving it in the photos is that as an active plane on the flight line it becomes part of the landscape. That said, I certainly see it as visually detracting from the imagry of the plane and wish it were not there. In the near term, it is very likely that I will remove it from picture #1, or what I call the "formal" portrait. As time goes on I think I will migrate to the "less is more" camp and for most if not all of the pictures it will likely become a thing of the past.

As for aquarta's comment that the images appear flat and without contrast, from where I sit and based on the prints (up to 13" x 19"), they have ample contrast. Secondarily, the highpoints of the aluminum skin burn out very quickly as more contrast is added. In this case, what you see reflects (no pun intended) a balancing of contrast with maintaining detail in a fragile but essential element of the photos.

Personally, the more I look critically at the B&Ws the more I like them. This is a change for me.

Once again, thanks for your input. Keep those cards and letters coming.

Best regards,

Ed B.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow