Where are the fast and long lenses for m43?

Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,062Gear list
Like?
Re: Where are the fast and long lenses for m43?
In reply to Sabatia, Aug 15, 2012

Sabatia wrote:

With the 12-35 2.8 (mine arrives today!) and the 35-100 2.8 coming, and with a fine Pana macro and a Oly macro coming, the only thing that is really missing for m4/3s is a long faster tele. With my now sold Canon 300 f4 IS and previously 300 f4 non-IS I was able to capture some amazingly wonderful wildlife and bird images over the years. I also had the 1.4x teleconverter and had tried but found too much softening with the 2x converter, and owned the 500 4.5 non-IS and the 400 5.6 each for awhile. It is thing I really miss as a full convert to m4/3s who doesn't want to lug around two systems. And I've tried the converter route and just want native lenses with auto focus, auto aperture, and IS as we have in every other system.

I own the Pana 45-175x and 100-300. The 45-175 is small and light but the image quality is similar to the low-end Canon tele zooms. The 100-300 captures acceptable images that my friends and editors love but which I poopoo as I zoom in and find the whiskers on a seal not tack sharp. The 100-300 is very similar in quality to the L tele zooms, but not nearly as sharp as the smaller lighter(but still big and fairly heavy) tele primes like the 300L and the 400L. One thing that should be noted is that for m4/3s, 150 would equal 300 Full frame, 225 would equal 300 APSC. So what Pana/Oly needs to shoot for to make many many of us even happier is to come out with a prime tele 200 f4, 225 f4, 250 f4, 300 f4. We understand that any these would be big and fairly heavy, but so what. That is what wildlife sports etc. photographers need to be fully satisfied with m4/3. I think over time we will see such lenses, probably by next year.

As a long time Olympus user I admire your optimism, however naive it may be.
--
Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow