Olympus 15 mm/f8 fixed iris pancake (FT5 rumour)

Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,346Gear list
Like?
Olympus 15 mm/f8 fixed iris pancake (FT5 rumour)
Aug 15, 2012

According to http://www.43rumors.com/ Olympus will soon launch a new pancake prime: A 15 mm/f8 with a fixed iris. Or a 71.6 degree field of view, 1.875 mm aperture lens, if you like.

With those qualities, the hyperfocal distance is going to be 1.8 metres, and the question is if it this lens is going to have any sort of focussing ability. My personal speculation is that this is going to be a very cheap lens, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a "toy" lens aimed at the hipsters. It could be optimized for its aperture, and I speculate it won't be larger than a body cap, making the smaller M43 cameras truly pocketable and ready for snapshots at a moments notice.

Also, and this is my speculation again, the specs could also mean that this is a tough, waterproof lens which would imply that we might see a beach-oriented PEN?

Unless it has surprisingly good optical qualities, or it is waterproof, I can't help but see this as a niche lens. Admittedly, I bought the often maligned Olympus 17 mm/2.8 for similar reasons that I can see people buying a 15/8, but the 17 mm isn't that big in the first place, and it gives you a lot more flexibility than a fixed iris f/8 would.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
oopsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow