Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
balchinian
Regular MemberPosts: 293
Like?
DP series tripod recommendations?
Aug 15, 2012

There's lots of discussions about lightweight, portable tripods, but almost all of them are about DSLR's. I think it should be possible to go a lot smaller and lighter with a tripod for the DP1 Merrill or a DP2 Merrill. Since the DP1M and DP2M do not have any kind of image stabilization, a tripod is probably required in most cases for the best image quality. The Joby Gorillapods seem handy, and I use them often, but what about a real tripod? Can you offer some good recommendations for lightweight tripods that match the small size and weight, but pro-quality of the Sigma DP series of cameras? I travel on foot constantly, whether it's in the mountains, or at some urban tourist attraction, so light and compact tripods are the only kind I'm interested.

A few brands I've seen mentioned often, but know little about how well they match a DP camera:

• Slik

• Velbon

• Zipshot

• Gitzo

• Feisol

• Dolica

• Manfrotto

• Trekpod

• Sirui

...and many more. What do YOU recommend? I'm already aware of some novel tricks that forgo the need for a tripod, but if you have some more you would like to share, that will make for some interesting discussion. A few I already know about:

• String bipod

• String tripod

• Bean bags

• Dirt in a sock bag thing

• Gorillapod on tree

• monopod

• String guys + monopod

Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow