In real life, how much better is E-M5 (vs. 1st gen)?

Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rezaf_2000
Regular MemberPosts: 335
Like?
In real life, how much better is E-M5 (vs. 1st gen)?
Aug 15, 2012

I have a number of 1st gen m43 cameras: Oly E-P1, Panny G1 and Panny GF3. Out of these, I'm still in love with the E-P1 (I don't like the Panny cameras much). I've taken about 35K exposures in the last 3 years with my E-P1, and am comfortable going around its shortcomings (I love its control scheme + JPEG colors). I guess I could be happy with it for years to come.

Well, the technology progress doesn't stop for me, and now everyone is talking about the E-M5. Here's my question: How much better is E-M5? I'm not talking about controlled tests and charts, but real life day-to-day usage. Is it really worth coughing up a grand?!

What is pushing me is that I have a few vacations planned, including a trip to Beijingin September and another to Puerto Rico in the next couple of months (plus a few domestic destinations), and even though I'm more or less happy with the E-P1 now, I'm afraid in 10 years I wish I had upgraded to the new camera to have better pictures of my possibly once-in-a-lifetime trips. (This is how GAS starts, I guess!) This has in fact happened to me before. I took a trip to Italy in 2008 where I used a panasonic superzoom point and shoot as my camera. I now regret I didn't have a good camera like my E-P1 back in 2008, as the picture quality is visibly worse. (Well I had a Pentax DSLR with me too, but I didn't take it to many places. I value the smallness of a camera a lot).

Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow