Started Aug 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
meatatarian
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: EF-S vs EF lens
In reply to gdanmitchell, Aug 15, 2012

gdanmitchell wrote:

meatatarian wrote:

I would highly recommend buying EF-S lenses for your APS-C camera, regardless of whether you will be upgrading to FF in the future.

I wouldn't go quite that far!

When a great EFS option is available and not matched by non-EFS alternatives (as in the case of the EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, the 10-22, and so on) then seriously consider the EFS lens. Some of them provide capabilities for cropped sensor cameras and are adapted for their needs in ways that cannot easily be duplicated with non-EFS lenses.

On the other hand, there are situations in which the non-EFS lenses may be the better or the only choices. For example, if you decide you need a 35mm prime, you can't find such a lens in EFS form. Or if you want a longer telephoto zoom, there are many more choices here among the non-EFS lenses... and the EFS option is OK but not great.

It is incorrect to imply that EFS lenses will perform better in optical terms with the sensors of cropped sensor bodies. That is simply untrue.

So it is not correct to simply say you should always get EFS lenses for cropped sensor bodies. It is correct to say that you should not automatically presume that EFS lenses are less capable or less desirable than non-EFS lenses.

You're totally correct, and I apologize for not clarifying. I mean to say for the normal and wide-angle zooms. Some of the best lenses for APS-C in the prime and telephoto categories are EF lenses, such as the 70-200 f/4 IS and the 50 mm f/1.8!

meatatarian's gear list:meatatarian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow