Canon's new 61 pt AF system (1DX, 5D3) smokes Nikon

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
SubPrime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233
Like?
Re: No it's not HUGE EOSHQ
In reply to schmegg, Aug 15, 2012

schmegg wrote:

It's eating away at them. In their heart of hearts they know there are issues, but they don't want it to be so.

No one wants to believe that there are issues with their investment, which for most of us, is probably $10k or more when you include lenses, speedlights etc. And those with focusing issues on their D800s have every reason to be concerned/dissapointed etc.

It's only natural to be concerned with a dilligent measurebator like Chambers claims there is something wrong with the AF or lens you own. The first thing I did was check my own D800 with the 851.4G to see if I could replicate the issues Chambers was reporting.

What I found was this:

1. I did not have the same problem as Chambers, which I am thankful for.

2. The shooting scenario that Chambers was referring to was one that most photographers are highly unlikely to experience i.e. shooting a fast 85mm prime wide open beyond 80 feet.

3. I found that with the exception of ideal lighting situations (ie. low contrast), diffraction and ghosting (due to shooting wide open) are a far greater contributor to loss of image detail than AF inaccuracy or prescision.

Having said that, it should come as no surprise that Nikon's AF system will need to be overhauled for the next generation of pro DSLRs. While the CAM3500 system was a huge success for Nikon, I think most Nikon shooters were a little surprised that the module was merely tweaked, rather than replaced.

Nikon were producing nothing above 12 mpx when the existing AF module was first released.

Doess this mean the existing AF system is insufficient to serve the needs of D4 and D800 users? Not at all. If that were the case, we would not have seem at least half the cameras at the Olympics being Nikon. For D4 shooters, it is certainly delivering even at wide apertures. For D800 shooters, it makes little sense to shoot wide open without sacrificing image quality anyway - in fact, that applies to all cases except for perhaps Leica S2 lenses and the 200F2 lenses fron Nikon and Canon.

As for 'eating away", this get's back to the fact that posts about the D800 continue to appear here several times a week - sometimes more than 1 per day. If the D800 was not an issue or of interest, why the constant posts on this topic?

As Vibro writes below, "Who cares"? Obviously a number of Canon fanboys do.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=42257950

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow