Canon's new 61 pt AF system (1DX, 5D3) smokes Nikon

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,228Gear list
Like?
Re: Which Olympics were you watching?
In reply to carlk, Aug 14, 2012

carlk wrote:

That was exactly my point. Those are top sports pj's shooting the most important game in years you think they would use a camera not having the top notch AF?

BTW there ARE more black lenses than white. I couldn't care less how many pros use Canon or Nikon. That's Canon's business to worry not mine but there is no deny how things have changes and Nikon became very competitive in the last few years.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=42206356

In this particular shot there apear to be more Nikon but in general just watching on TV (which I did extensively) it looks about even, which represents a significant improvement for Nikon over the last few years.

I too doubt there is even one D800 or for that matter 5DIII in there. Either one has the scaled down version AF of its respective big brother (not too sure about Nikon though). My post was to respond to op's ridiculous notion that somehow Canon's new AF smokes Nikon's because of one article form someone we don't even know how good at using the cameras.

I don't know what to make of this AF thing actually. There is no question that Nikon can make a good AF. If there is anything endemically wrong with the D800, it is something that they can fix, I am sure. I think this is a result of too much pixel=peeping, a bit like the Darwin Wiggett thing when the 7D first came out. There was a huge hurrang over that and all turned out well eventually.

David Hull wrote:

Turbo Hampster wrote:

carlk wrote:

The few shots I saw all have more black lenses than white. If you had a chance to see the chase car in the last game, the marathone, black lenses out number white lenses at least 2 to 1. That one is very clear since camera shot stayed on the truck for quite a few seconds. Anyway that panoramic tells the full story. There is no such thing as Canon AF smokes Nikon.

Exactly the few shots you saw haha

If you watched a decent amount you would of seen that overall it was fairly even and that overall canon probably had a few more but that is subjective as I didn't count them!

And anyways how ridiculous is it to be using how many of each brand is in the press pit at the olympics as a barometer of autofocus performance...

I think that the point he was trying to make was that if the AF were no good, there would have been very few Nikons there -- which is valid, IMO. However I doubt that very many of those that were there were D800 which is what this thread seems to be about.

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow