Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
W5JCK
Regular MemberPosts: 408Gear list
Like?
Powershot G1X battery shooting capacity seems fairly good
Aug 14, 2012

Battery shooting capacity with the G1X really isn't that bad. Perhaps that was blown out of proportion by just a few naysayers, or maybe not. Your results might vary, but for my normal shooting routine shooting capacity is better than I was led to believe.

These are my results from a shooting session early Sunday morning. I set up the G1X with an intervalometer and captured 440 images (220 CR2 RAW and 220 JPEG) in just over 1-1/2 hours. (See list of shooting settings below.) The LCD was powered on for the entire shoot. I was using an after market Power2000 1200mAh battery, rather than the stock battery. At the end of the session the battery icon was still showing 3 of 3 bars, what the manual (p. 223) calls "sufficient charge." No clue as to percentage of battery capacity used, but I think we can assume that less than 35% was depleted, and possibly a lot less than 35%. Canon specifications indicate that normal shooting capacity with the stock battery and the LCD turned On is approximately 250 shots. So "sufficient charge" after 220 shots (440 images) with the LCD on continuously for over 90 minutes seems good. Granted this was with an after market battery, but this battery only cost $10 on Amazon.

• Mode: Manual

• Focus: MF

• LCD: On entire session

• Flash: not used

• Speed: ISO-200

• Aperture: f/5.6

• Shutter: 20 seconds

• Interval: 25 seconds (20 + 5)

• Exposures: 220

• Elapsed Time: about 92 minutes

• Image Quality: RAW + JPEG

1. of Images: 440 (220 RAW + 220 JPEG)

-- hide signature --

An astrophotography hobbyist and amateur radio instructor and examiner. Canon EOS T1i and Canon Powershot G1 X. http://www.w5jck.com

W5JCK's gear list:W5JCK's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow