Canon's new 61 pt AF system (1DX, 5D3) smokes Nikon

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Picturenaut
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon's new 61 pt AF system (1DX, 5D3) smokes Nikon
In reply to dogcow23, Aug 14, 2012

dogcow23 wrote:

why would anyone who buy a D800 want to shoot at wide apertures i.e. 1.4 etc.... all you would get is blur. What a waste of such a great sensor. D800 should always be shot at f8 and above. you want the image to be sharp to enjoy all of those pixels.

D800 is always compares to MF cameras, how often do you see MF cameras being shot at 1.4?

The D800 has the same pixel size than a EOS 7D. I have one and what I really can tell from 3 years of extended experience with it is that diffraction blur creeps visibly in @ f > =10, you see it in particular if you use a sharp prime lens (e.g. a nice Zeiss). The D800 should behave the same way because the physical rules of wave optics do not change only because it's a Nikon. So I'd expect the best aperture range for a D800 to be between f=4 and f=8. In this range its resolution should match its huge file sizes (with good glass). And that's a difference to real MF cameras with bigger pixels as you can utilize their optimum resolution in the f> =10 range without too much losses.

-- hide signature --

Picturenaut

Picturenaut's gear list:Picturenaut's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow