Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Filmophile
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?
NOT saying goodbye to foveon ;)
Aug 14, 2012

Having spent 2 weeks in France with my family and both my new K5 and my now a bit (more) unreliable SD14 I've firmly decided I'm not ready to leave the Sigma camp.

While with my better lenses the K5 does indeed resolve a bit more detail than the SD14, in order to see it you have to view the K5 image at 75-100%, at which point it falls apart and starts to look more like a typical point in shoot picture. I presume this effect is down to the demosaic guesswork fuzzing things so it looks like there's a slight film of fog over everything. That said, the K5 can do things the SD14 (or an SD1 for that matter) simply couldn't - e.g. indoor shots in low light with no flash (though above ISO2500 noise can get a bit ugly, but the same can be said of the SD14 above 400!). It's the vibrancy coupled with the absolute pixel accuracy the foveon gives which really takes your breath away. Anyway, no sudden gear sale from this corner (to my other half's irritation no doubt ) Seems to me that the K5 + SD14 pairing is an ideal match - K5 for day to day stuff, low light and video, SD14 for specific 'special' pics, macro etc - plus my wife can use the K5 easily.

one thing I did notice though - while the K5 is generally much less frustrating to use than the SD14 the AF is surprisingly erratic, often choosing entirely the wrong point in the frame. For insects I found it far easier to nail pleasing shots with the SD14 than the K5 (in fact gave up with the K5 after a while). That might in part be due to the smaller pixel size though one would expect the higher shutter speed to compensate somewhat.

Pentax K-5 Sigma SD1 Sigma SD14
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow