left film partially out of the roll, in dark case; negatives are now completely black

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jv0guano
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
left film partially out of the roll, in dark case; negatives are now completely black
Aug 14, 2012

I was trying to rev the film roll out of my camera, when halfway it sort of stuck. (I realised afterwards that the rewind knob lost its grip).

Anyway, I tried to pull the film inside the roll, but of course it didn't work out, so I just rolled it tightly around the roll and packed it in the film roll case.

All this happened in a mostly dark room, with just a tiny glass aperture on the door where indirect light was coming in.

When I retrieved the pictures, the first half was gone.
I looked at the negatives and they are all black.

Now, I was not expecting a 100% quality, I could imagine bleed, blown highlight and such, due to that incident.
But is it normal that the negatives are completely black?

Or, since the film was outside the roll, when the lab guy/girl took the film out from the case, they did not pay attention to my warning and just did that in normally, bright, lit environment?

I am pretty disappointed that those pictures are gone, actually very much furious....

Thank you for your opinion!

jv0guano's gear list:jv0guano's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow