Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lethalfalcon
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
1D X "gigabit" Ethernet
Aug 14, 2012

I've had the 1D X for about three weeks now, and just got around to setting up a test of the Ethernet port on it. And I'm a bit disappointed in the results. Trying both the EOS Utility and the FTP Server options, I'm only able to transfer approximately 16MB/sec. Considering that it's barely faster than Fast Ethernet is, why exactly could this be? Here are some things I ruled out:

• Transferring form another computer to the FTP server yielded a sustained rate of 50MB/sec.

• Transferring from the cards in the camera to a computer using a Lexar USB3 card reader yielded sustained rates of nearly 70MB/sec, which is to be expected from 600x cards.

• All cables are CAT6.

• The switch reports gigabit negotiation on both ends.

I'd be rather upset if I found out that they put the Ethernet port off the USB2 bus and just called it a day. Even then, USB2 can sustain about 25-30MB/sec. So what I'm seeing is that the gigabit port is actually SLOWER than USB2. This is just messed up. I would like to tether for shoots, to provide a quick update for clients to see. Trying that on the 7D felt like wading through tar pits for them to load on screen. Yeah, I suppose I could send JPEG through the ethernet port and keep raw on the camera, but why should I do that when the port should be capable of sending 3-4 RAW images per second?

lethalfalcon's gear list:lethalfalcon's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +3 more
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow