5D3 critical to exposure

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dave Chilvers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,174Gear list
Like?
Re: how does Histogram look?
In reply to Dave Chilvers, Aug 14, 2012

Dave Chilvers wrote:

I've been looking at the images that have brought this to the front, they are images taken last week at the coast where there are a number of small boats in the scene being white in colour. I've been bracketing since I noticed the problem 0, -1/3 and +2/3 and course the + 2/3 brings up the image in general to acceptable levels but tends to blow the white boats. OK that's a scenario where in bright sunlight with white objects in the scene to get the shadow areas to a reasonable level will blow highlights.

I'll do a controlled test with my 5D2 and 5D3 with the same lens and subject. All I can say is that I've been shooting FF and crop Canons for many years and some are better than others as far as DR is concerned but for me to actually notice a difference between 5D2 and 5D3 when I've been shooting mainly similar subjects for years means that something aint quite right. This has been occurring whilst shooting the scene with 5d2 and 5d3 with different lenses.

I'll do some tests and get back

Thanks all.
--
I feel so much better now that I've given up Hope

http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/latest_images

Of course the sun has stopped shining now!!

After checking through a lot of images taken over the last couple of months (and without doing that new test) I think maybe I was expecting a bit too much and DR on bright sunny days with a massive range of tones in the scene then nothing much has changed from the 5Dmk2 to my eyes.(or the 1 series come to that)

Funny though isn't it, when just walking around light my Fuji X10 seems to nail things most times:-)

-- hide signature --

I feel so much better now that I've given up Hope

http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/latest_images

Dave Chilvers's gear list:Dave Chilvers's gear list
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow