Nikon V1 over Sony RX ?

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Cheezr
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon V1 over Sony RX ?
In reply to Asi1, Aug 14, 2012

I had the V1 kit with the 10-30 and 30-110. I didn't have the 10mm but note that it is not an image stabilized lens.

I don't want to leave the impression that the V1 is not a good camera but IMO the V1 is really suited to someone who already owns Nikon telephoto glass and wants a small fast camera with a 2.7x crop. If I had had a 300mm f2.8 nikkor I would have been thrilled to buy the V1 and adapter and magically get a 810mm lens and in fact people complained at one time that most of the photos in this forum were from Birders. In my opinion you can get great images from the V1 but the camera will make you really work for every single one!

I mostly do street photo during the day but i can't imagine trying to manually or zone focus the V1 (day or night) whereas I can rest the RX on a stable surface and with the focus peaking turned on i can see in real time what is in focus or i can turn the lens ring and manually focus. In low light the Sony has amazing AF better than V1 or really any camera i have ever used.

The RX jpgs are IMO as good as the V1 raws. I havent been able to try RX raws yet as it is so new there is not much supported software. In any case you can always try the V1 if nothing else they are very very cheap on ebay as they have not held their value.

The RX is a pleasure to use there isn't even a lens cap to worry about and I have no doubt that it will not lose over 50% of its value in the next six months.

Good luck what ever you decide.

-- hide signature --

Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

Cheezr's gear list:Cheezr's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow