Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digifox
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Best Nikon (leaning toward D5100/3200) for magazine work
Aug 14, 2012

I've looked for the last few days and have heard don't bother with the 24mp of the 3200, and that yes, it has better video options, but no one needs the 24mp and the D5100 has more photographer's options.

The thing is I was originally looking for a camera under $500 that is sufficient for a double page spread in a magazine. I know I just need to upsample an image to 300dpi before sending if it's not "big enough", but I wanted a camera that I don't have to worry about this, and I have read all over that there are certain amounts of mp you need for double pages - usually they say 16 to 18mp.

That leaves me with getting a $600 to $1000 dollar camera (that includes lenses, ideally). I was looking at the 3200 and 5100...and really, I don't know what to get.

I am not a photographer, but will need it for my own mag. I don't mean that I don't know how to take pictures - I do - but I am only using this for the magazine and whatever fun things I can do with it, not for making a living taking pictures directly. It will be a lot of animal shots (pets, not wildlife). I was kind of shocked to see how much a prime lens costs (was looking at a 35 for portraits) so I would have to stick with the kit lens and probably buy a pack that came with a 75-300 lens as well as the 18-55.

If anyone can help me - I would appreciate it.

Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital) Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow