RX100 - Vegas Strip: night shooting tips to avoid camera shake?

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dalemccl
Regular MemberPosts: 334
Like?
RX100 - Vegas Strip: night shooting tips to avoid camera shake?
Aug 14, 2012

I'll be in Las Vegas in a couple weeks with my RX100. I have taken pictures there before with a Sony HX5V. Even though the strip is fairly bright at night, many of my night pictures with the HX5V were blurry from camera shake, especially when zoomed in to any extent. Even flood-lit hotels tended to be blurred in many shots.

Even though the RX100 has a faster lens, I suspect I may still have blur problems because my hands aren't very steady. I will try to brace the camera on a ledge or something when possible, but that won't always be practical. Carrying a gorilla pod or small tripod with me would be a last resort.

Because I intend to display the photos only on a 55" 1080p HDTV, I am thinking that instead of risking blur by zooming in, I could take 28mm shots to take advantage of the f1.8 to get a faster shutter speed, and then crop in post to the desired FOV. Since I only need approx. 2 MP for the HDTV, I would think I could crop pretty aggressively. (I plan to shoot in 16:9 17 MP.)

Would this cropping strategy result in minimal deterioration of image quality when viewed on the HDTV? (In comparison to the IQ of a shot made by someone with rock steady hands who uses optical zoom (or even CIZ) to get a FOV that is equivalent to what I would get in my cropping scenario.)

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow