Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
trueview
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Re: Yawn - maybe some perspective is needed here
In reply to SubPrime, Aug 13, 2012

SubPrime wrote:

trueview wrote:

Just for the fun of it, I ran the same test as you, with 5DIII + 24/1.4 L. My hit rate in bright light at 1.4 on either outer or center AF points is practically 100%. Now if I had to run this test now, it is because I had never shot my 24/1.4 at full aperture in bright light (1/8000 !). In other words, this particular strength of the 5DIII will only come in handy in a handful of situations. In the real world, had we been shooting side by side, we would have been at a much smaller aperture, and there would have been no visible difference in our result.

Very true.

I forgot that I could lower ISO to 50, but I had to stop down to at least f2 much of the time for the same reasons - 1/8000. Many of my shots were of the kids running around the park so that expains the 20% that I missed. The 85 1.4 is hardly a go to lens for action shots - plus my son badly needs a haircut, so my AF attempts to catch his eyes pulled focus on his fringe a number of times.

The shots I took of static objects were all in focus, but like I said, the real issues that became apparent were artifacts like chromatic aberation and softness from shooting wide open or close to it. It's no secret that the D800 is ruthless on such weaknesses.

Yes resolution exerts a toll on lenses. I'm seeing flaws with my lenses now that we're invisible with the 5Dc. Another issue with wide aperture lenses is how,they fare iin backlit situations : flare and ghosting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow