Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
E-PL1 User, Image Quality vs E-PM1 If You Tweak E-PM1 Defaults
Aug 13, 2012

I have the E-PL1 & basically am fine with it. Heck I just got back from a trip in the Ozark Mountains & snagged some great landscapes with it. ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=42207146 ) I realize the E-PL1 is often noted as having the best image quality due to its having the lights anti-aliasing filter (at least compared to the E-P1 and E-P2, ancient models by now I realize this). I also realize that, starting with the E-PL3 and E-P3 and the E-PM1, Olympus changed the defaults for noise reduction to where DPreview regards it as too strong, saying that you get better results if you dial it down to low (I believe) and then also roll back sharpening to -1.

My question is: upon doing so, wouldn't the E-PM1 then be equal to the E-PL1?

I ask because, while I am mostly satisfied with the E-PL1 & am inclined to hold on it it because of its low cost & reputation for being the best image-quality wise, one problem keeps cropping up--with pictures of kids, they're often-times blurry, seemingly because it focuses on the background instead of them, a problem I don't have with my DSLR. (I typically specify a certain AF point & I know to watch and make sure the right elements are being highlighted by it). I have the 14-42mm II MSC not the "original" 14-42mm so there's no "lens wobble." I will shoot around 1/100 second and the kids are stationery--yet still, they're often-times blurry.

In another post I read somewhere a poster stated they had that problem with their E-PL1 and upon getting the E-PM1 they haven't had it since. I figured having 35 AF points covering the entire frame would help. Besides that, yes having the better LCD and more buttom-customizabiliy would help. But if the E-PL1 really is the king of image quality, one side of me says to just work on my technique (maybe shoot in S-AF + M vs just S-AF so I can easily zoom-in to confirm AF was accurate & if not then fine-tune it myself on the fly); at the same time, the other said says, if the E-PM1 really is that much better in focusing where I tell it to, that would more than make up for any tiny image quality difference between the two anyway.

Tips?

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow