Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Skipper
Contributing MemberPosts: 872
Like?
Simple rules of thumb
Aug 13, 2012

My neighbors are leaving for Greece tomorrow, and one of their cameras will be the RX100, shooting jpeg. They just want to enjoy the vacation, and don't want to worry about adjusting settings, so I am trying to think of a couple of rules of thumb that are easy to follow.

What do you think of the following:

Rule #1: Use [Superior Auto] mode 99% of the time . My rationale is that they will encounter lots of outdoor high contrast situations, which the camera will automatically identify & use multi-frame overlays if necessary to contain. I think this is preferable to coming back with a bunch of photos where the shadow details are all lost - these photos just look awful.

It is definitely preferable to trying to explain the difference between D-R off, DRO, HDR overlays & fill-in flash. They will end up ignoring it.

Does anyone know how the Superior Auto mode handle high contrast situations? Are my assumptions above correct?

Second, when in low-light situations where there are subject movements, use [Program] mode . My rationale is that the Superior Auto mode tops out at ISO 800, and when it is reached, it starts dropping the shutter speed. IMO it is important to always up the shutter speed, because a blurry photo cannot be rescued in PP. I will change their Auto ISO range to 125 - 6,400.

What do you think of these suggestions?

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow