Rumor of new A77 firmware after A99 release is reminiscent of

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
yorugua
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
Re: I for one...
In reply to Stflbn, Aug 13, 2012

Stflbn wrote:

I disagree... the general Gripe with the sony jpeg engine is that it removes to much detail and results in the ever popular Watercolor resulting images. So 'more' NR is not what people are wanting. They're wanting LESS noise reduction.

I agree. The following is from the SAR comments: "What I need after 2 weeks of testing: Either RAW needs to integrate lens correction and DRO+, or the JPEG-engine needs to be set on a far less aggressive level and noise reduction needs to be optional disabled at all. The average JPG file size in my testings at 24 MP was 4 to 5 MB, which is what I got on my 7D but with 6 MP. When I save a RAW as high quality JPEG it’s about 12 to 15 MB large. The current quality of x-fine JPEG is unacceptable and with ISO > 800 it’s unusable."

I own an A65. Imagine that if x-fine on the A77 is unacceptable, fine on the A65 is worse. I get 10-13 MB jpegs from processing raw, but 5 - 8 MB on average from the A65. I get 5-6MB files from a P&S 14MP camera! Again, if there's an area where we need improvement, JPEG comes to mind.

yorugua's gear list:yorugua's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W320 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow