Another pro photographer with no business sense

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Photomonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?
Re: Another pro photographer with no business sense
In reply to Greg Lavaty, Aug 13, 2012

Greg Lavaty wrote:

I haven’t read the other posts here but I do have to say that I respectfully disagree with you. I don’t think that doing a quick snap for $10 is a good idea at all. What I think that does is to suggest that what you are doing isn’t of value and I also think that it puts substandard work out for others to see. How is that good advertising?

I think he could have maybe been more tactful about refusing to do the work for $10, comparing what he is doing to a plumber doesn’t seem like a way to build relationships with anyone.

It is good, in my opinion, that he stuck with his asking price. If that is too much for her then fine, she isn’t the right customer for him.

I get asked on an almost daily basis to provide photography for free. Recently I had someone contact me about supplying photography for a smartphone app. They told me that they really liked my photography and wanted to use it but unfortunately they didn’t have a budget for photography. They then suggested that it would be a good opportunity for me to promote my business.

I tried to be as respectful as possible when I declined the offer, explaining that photography is how I make my living and that I didn’t think I was in a position to give my work away, particularly when it is giving it away to someone who intends to make profit from my work.

My feeling is that this would be the same as asking an employee to work for free because it would possibly help their future job opportunities… I don’t know many people who would go for that. I also don’t believe that it is a good idea to create the expectation in your potential customers that you will give your work away.

Maybe I don’t have business sense but it doesn’t seem to make common sense to give away your work for a price that can’t even make a living wage.

Greg

Right on Greg. Civility is very important but at bottom some people cannot afford what we sell.

Photomonkey's gear list:Photomonkey's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JeezNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow