Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
opiecat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,797Gear list
Like?
D5100 AFc surprise
Aug 13, 2012

While my D7000 is in service, I borrowed a D5100 and mounted my Tamron 70-300 VC lens.

I wasn't expecting the same AFc performance from the D5100 for BIF, but I was pleasantly surprised at the D5100's AFc "locking" and staying in focus performance over my D7000.

Looking at some of my BIF shots, it seemed like the D5100 did not adjust focus as much as the D7000 as I tracked the BIF.

Yes, my subject was quite distant, had some not-so-ideal background and didn't fill the AF point making tracking difficult, but yet the D5100 managed to get more in-focus shots over the D7k.

Even on some static shots, the D5100 AFc "stayed" in focus more and didn't micro adjust around as much the D7k.

D7k was set to Af9, tracking lock on to OFF. D5100 was Af dynamic (11 pt).

Why is this so? Was it because i'm setting the D7K's af tracking with lock on to OFF and in the D5100 it's whatever is the default (which I don't believe is OFF)?

Or is it because the D5100's af points are further apart such that the dynamic AF behaves differently than the D7k's which are much closer spaced?

Anyone experienced this?

TIA

-- hide signature --

'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow