Canon's new 61 pt AF system (1DX, 5D3) smokes Nikon

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
rwbaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,261Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon's new 61 pt AF system (1DX, 5D3) smokes Nikon
In reply to Slideshow Bob, Aug 13, 2012

You guys are like flies on sh!t :D. Thanks for demonstrating my point.

Slideshow Bob wrote:

So it's insecure to refute misleading claims about a product, but not insecure to post misleading claims about a product? Right. You're basically saying that Canon users should be allowed to bash Nikon as much as they like with impunity, but the forum rules specifically state "No bashing". It doesn't say "No bashing unless you're a Canon user". I can't see why that's so hard to understand.

The OP linked a blog from a respected reviewer that had previously panned the 5D3 and now finds fault with the D800 in the same way has Thom Hogan and others. The thread title is incendiary I'll give you that but what in the crux of Lloyd Chambers blog do you find misleading? Does it not relate to Thom Hogan's statement that 6 of 12 D800's he's worked with had AF issues? If people are going to extoll the DR issue in just about every thread then why is the D800's AF issue not fair game too?

Yes, it's insecure to monitor a competitive forum to be certain nothing is said that you perceive to be in error. That's why I don't post in the Nikon forum as I don't believe it is fair for me to spout my perceptions about equipment I don't own and have never worked with.

Where did I once "bash" anything? Where did I mention "bashing"?

You know what the difference between the Canon and Nikon forums is? No one is talking cr@p about Canon products over there. There are no thread titles even mentioning Canon products on the first page of threads in the D4 forum.

The Nikon Dx forum has it's hands full with D800 AF issues so there's little room for much else :D. Seriously though there's some truth in what you say but by the same token there are few to no Canon fanboys posting in the Nikon forums either. From my limited time reading the DX forum there's plenty of Canon bashing going on in the body of threads but the difference is there's little to no resistance to it.

If you don't like Nikon users responding to threads started by Canon users about Nikon cameras here in the Canon forums, maybe Canon users should stop creating threads about Nikon cameras here in the Canon forums!!!

You must have missed all the threads boasting the Sony Exmor and Nikon designed sensors DR superiority. Most of us accept and acknowledge this fact but have decided it's not that important to our style of photography. But let someone counter with a thread such as the OP's where he's simply linking statements from a known Nikon supporter about a Nikon camera with AF issues and it brings guys like you and many others out to defend your brand. Why is that? Please explain why you're so sensitive to the notion that a Nikon camera may have a flaw and not be the best in every regard? I see that as insecurity. I know my Canon has limited DR by comparison but I accept that.

Why are you here? Why are you even responding in this thread? Does it bother you that much that the D800 apparently has an AF issue? Why should you care what people reading the Canon forum think? I don't post against BS in the Nikon forum (and I've read a lot) when I see it because I know it's only going be argumentative and non-productive. I don't care either because I'm happy with my chosen brand and how it works for me. Apparently you're not as why else would you be spending time here.

Bob

rwbaron wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

I wonder why this obssession with the D800 here.

And I wonder why this obsession by some Nikon fans to counter every argument here in the Canon forum. I don't post in and seldom read the Nikon forums but when I do I don't see anything close to this level of cross posting over there. Let's be honest that the title of this thread could have been "1DX & 5D3 have class leading AF" with no mention of any other camera but you and several others would be posting and IMO that would show an insecurity on your part. I'm sure there are many D4/800 claims of superiority made daily in the Nikon forum that remain unchallenged. I know because even with the limited time I spend over there I read them and the Nikon mutual admiration society has little to no interest in breaking up the kumbaya moment. I just move on as it means nothing to me as I'm completely comfortable with my Canon equipment warts and all.

So what is it with your obsession (along with several others) to defend Nikon's honor in most every thread over here? Maybe you don't see the irony in your asking the above question in the Canon forums but I do. Are you an honest interested observer, an ambassador for Nikon or just that insecure about your chosen brand that you have to constantly monitor what the other side is saying? In all fairness your posts are more subtle in nature but there are others that are quite adversarial. Then there are those that have "seen the light" of extended DR and have to espouse their new religion in nearly every thread. I welcome a differing opinion but your posting and that of several others in this forum is fanboyism at work too.

The obsession with the D800 by some on this forum is most likely due to having it jammed down their throat by people posting here with hidden agendas. If you can't play nicely in someone else's sandbox then go home and play in your own. I don't direct that last statement at you specifically because you at least attempt to be civil but this would be a more constructive forum without the bickering posts of several other people.

Bob
--
http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow