D800 video question: using power aperture. Why is it locked?

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
em_dee_aitch
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,675
Like?
D800 video question: using power aperture. Why is it locked?
Aug 13, 2012

First off, I am not a video expert but do attempt to have basic competency with shooting a video clip, so I am coming from a position of less than my usual knowledge base here... Regarding page 322 of the D800 manual, there is this statement:

Power Aperture Power aperture is available only in exposure modes g and h and can not be used during recording or while photo shooting info is displayed (a SYMBOL_HERE icon indicates that power aperture can not be used). The display may flicker while aperture is adjusted.

So, this might be a dumb question, but: I thought the entire point of power aperture was to have smooth aperture transitions during the actual recording of a clip. If you cannot use it "during recording" then what on earth is the purpose of having it at all???

I have tried using it, and indeed it does exactly what the manual says: I can power aperture between recordings (which is useless, because between recordings I can change the aperture the normal way), and during recordings it is locked out with the flashing symbol indicated in the manual (which is even more useless).

May I hazard a guess that maybe it's possible to record the HDMI feed of the live view when the camera itself is not recording and perhaps thus that this feature is only available to those using an external HDMI recording device? That's the only guess I got.

Any explanation from more video savvy person much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sanfranciscoweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco & San Jose, CA | Austin, TX
Wedding Photographer and Apparent Gearhead

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow