Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
It's Time to Shoot
Aug 13, 2012

The lead from Thom Hogan's (mostly Nikon based) website, with the photo at the top of the page.

It's Time to Shoot. This shot prints nicely at 20" wide at 300 dpi, and was taken at ISO 800 with a US$700 camera. Yeah, there's detail in the glacier. In the far peaks, too. Very little noise, which was easily dealt with. Indeed, the primary limitation on this image was the window of the plane. While it may seem that lately I've been preoccupied (as have many of you reading this) with focus issues on D800 bodies, the thing that strikes me is that you don't need a D800 to take nice photos. First and foremost, you need a camera in your hands. Lately we've been getting quite a string of extremely competent cameras, and they don't cost an arm and a leg. The Sony RX-100, the Canon GX1, the NEX-3/5/7, the Panasonic GX1/G3/GF5, the Olympus OM-D, and even the Nikon D3200 are good examples of such cameras. This image? It was taken with a Samsung NX1000 with the kit lens. Since the plane was equipped with WiFi and so is the camera, I could have sent the original to this site before I had landed had I so desired. We're in a golden era in terms of photographic gear. The question is this: are you in your golden era of shooting? Grab a camera and go out and shoot. Any camera.

. . .

Some of you might have noticed it, but let me remind all of you while there's a photograph taken with a consumer Samsung model at the top of my site: when I pick up a camera, my goal is to take the best possible pictures. I don't look at the brand name emblazoned on the back (ever notice that, you already know the brand, so why do you need to see it?) and genuflect before taking a shot. I figure out what the camera can do, how it needs to be set, and then concentrate on trying to get the best possible shot. That's the goal: make a good picture. Create the picture you desire.

http://bythom.com/

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow