85mm 1.8G vs. 1.4D - which one would you get?

Started Aug 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788Gear list
Like?
Re: 85mm 1.8G vs. 1.4D - which one would you get?
In reply to FlamboyantShooter, Aug 13, 2012

FlamboyantShooter wrote:

Torn between a new 85mm 1.8G or an used 85mm 1.4D for portrait, is there really a big difference between the two? Which one would you get?

A couple of months ago i was also torn between those two, but there is no way i could throw $800 on a "used" lens. During that same time the 1.8G was taking a long time to be available, during this proccess i discovered the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 Manual Focus and i am glad i bought that lens intead, this 1.4 is my favorite lens and it is SUPER inexpensive. If you don't mind manual focus for portraits this lens is PERFECT and it will blow your socks off, i don't have anything negative to say about it. And YES, there is a HUGE difference in Bokeh between any of these 1.4 lenses and the 1.8G, but both those Nikon lenses are excellent also.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/bokeh_/discuss/72157628919318471/

Just so that you get an idea

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow