Some thoughts about the SX230HS

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,142Gear list
Like?
Re: Some thoughts about the SX230HS
In reply to pcake, Aug 13, 2012

I've had two ZS15's. The first was very sharp with i Resolution turned on; but the second one was very soft on the whole left side - obviously defective. I'd guess a tilted lens element, as it was there at all focal lengths. Most reviewers rate the ZS15 as better than the ZS20 for stills. Oddly, the German site CHIP.de ranked the ZS20 one step higher than the ZS15; but their extensive data shows better numbers in most things for the ZS15.

The ZS15 definitely has a warmer color balance than the SX230HS, with a gold color cast under most conditions, except full sun. It's especially noticeable in indoor shots and in areas in the shade when outdoors. At the same time, strong reds are shown lighter and a little toward orange. You can't fine tune the Auto White Balance; but you can fine tune Sun and Cloudy and Incandescent WB; and if you adjust the settings for each WB toward the blue, it eliminates most of the color shift. Adding a couple of carefully chosed Custom WB settings would also help.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow