A77 and RAW workflows

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Photorer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343Gear list
Like?
Some more food for thought.....
In reply to Photorer, Aug 13, 2012

Thank you for your ideas, and letting us all have some insight into handling these BIG files.

I guess the answer really lies more or less as follows:
1. Shoot RAW only - that will save around half the disk space
2. Download the RAWs to a temp folder on your local drive.

3. Sort through the RAW's that you have downloaded using your favourite programme.
4. Backup the RAWs to external backup systems.
5. Delete the junk..... one, two, or more passes to get rid of the rubbish!
6. Backup RAWs again, leaving only the good ones (saves space!)
7. Process to jpeg around 1600px or so to another folder on your HDD.
8. Process to smaller jpeg for Flickr, web etc

9. Copy all jpeg processed images to backup folders on external HDD, and offsite backup.

10. Once you have the jpegs, you can archive the RAW files either to DVD (which I do at present) or to external HDD (which I am thinking hard about!).

11. Delete the RAW files from the local internal HDD when you're done with processing them.

Rinse, repeat..... etc....

I do use Faststone for quick re-sizing of jpegs as space saving measures. It is a super easy programme.... I didn't know it would display RAW images, though!

I must give old Irfanview a run.... I haven't used it since they started to charge for it (shows how long ago!). It sounds like quite an improvement since the original.

LR version 4 might be on the shopping list but probably oonly in the future.... LR3.6.6 is workign ok for me at the moment, although the export of A77 RAW files to smallish images does not give the quality I was expecting.

-- hide signature --

Still not enough time to take pictures....... Is there ever?
http://www.afripixel.com/

Photorer's gear list:Photorer's gear list
Sony SLT-A77
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow