Pentax Q or LX5 in addition to K-5 for USA roundtrip?

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
stern
Senior MemberPosts: 1,645Gear list
Like?
Re: Q has a zoom lens too
In reply to kdre, Aug 13, 2012

kdre wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

If the IQ of the Q would be a little better (larger sensor), I would not even think about it. I would let my K-5 at home and buy the Q as my only camera for travelling.

I can tell you right now overall the image quality of the Q is a little better. Yes, even with a slightly smaller sensor the Q does better than the LX5 .

I saw a lot of your pictures and they are all really good. Especially, I love "the little tree" Looks really great to me. So, yes, I believe you that IQ is a little better. You impressively prooved it.

What I am afraid of is that IQ (details) is too low if I want to print posters (297 × 420mm or larger) or panoramas of some of my shots. A small sensor cannot capture the same amount of details as a bigger sensor. I just don´t know where the "break even" is.

Maybe I should try this with pictures from my F100fd to see if I am satisfied with the printed results ...

I would rather buy the LX7. That extra stop of light is a huge deal (not that the LX5 is a bad camera).

Hmmm....maybe I should really wait a little longer and take my old F100fd for the trip. Probably in february I am in the USA again (Florida) and until then the price of the LX7 (or Q2 :-)) dropped a little...

Thank you for your suggestions!

Good night!

Klaus

Hi!

I've got some Q-Pics (some 100% crops) on my Zenfolio site. Might help in your decision making! I would say, if you take the Q, the 01 prime is the way to go. I also own the zoom, but the prime is so much better imagequality-wise, thus I am eagerly awaiting a wide and a tele prime. That Q-3-lens set would be a wonderful (retro) outfit!

-- hide signature --
 stern's gear list:stern's gear list
Pentax 645Z
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow