Veteran MemberPosts: 5,257
Like?
Re: Canon's new 61 pt AF system (1DX, 5D3) smokes Nikon
In reply to SubPrime, Aug 13, 2012

SubPrime wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

chipmaster wrote:

Why post in the Canon forum, you should post in Nikon Smokes is an interesting verb, clearly not from someone familar with either Nikon's top line nor Canon's.

Bingo ! These fanboys stick out like a turd in a punchbowl

Oooo - this news has really stung the Nikon fanclub hasn't it! LOL!

Let me just repeat what digloyd thinks ...

"So here’s the bottom line: can I point a Nikon D800 + ƒ1.4 prime at a subject at a moderate to far distance, hit the AF button and consistently get a sharply-focused image at ƒ1.4 or ƒ2? The answer is a resounding “NO” ."

Let me repeat what else he says:

'At closer range, my past experience has seen better results, e.g. focusing on eyes for portraits. So my comments must be taken in context of “medium and far” distance, and also with f/1.4 lenses in the 24mm - 85mm range."

And he goes on to say that his issues pertain to Nikon AF-S ƒ 1.4 lenses.

Fine - so it focuses acceptably some of the time! LOL! How very handy.

So yeah, it's still class leading.

In the words of Loyd Chambers - the D800's AF system "lacks precision".

As he says ..

"the D800 - D800E has poor autofocus precision, and that’s with the center focusing sensor, which is the best one (one example). In short, the asymmetry issue is a footnote issue compared to the fundamental problem of poor precision in general."

He's no even considering the asymmetry issues that some are experiencing (quite a few from what I can tell).

Not sure how you could consider that to be class leading when other cameras can, and do, do better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow