webfrasse wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

Vernon Snider wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

Just connect the two machines with a network cable. It's way faster and NO configuration is needed. Just plug in the cable and it's done.

Most likely both machines are already on the same (WiFi) network and then file-sharing could not be easier then using Airdrop (just click on the AirDrop icon in the Finder sidebar on both Macs and then, while on the source Mac, drag the file you want to move onto the icon representing the target Mac).

Thanks for your reply and suggestion, but sorry, but Airdrop is not available on either my iMac running Snow Leopard or on my MBPro running Mountain Lion.
--

Both have to run Lion or higher for Airdrop to work. If you have a wifi both machines will show up there or do what I suggested. Just connect the two with a regular ethernet cable. That is by far the fastest method.

What is different when two machines are connected via an Ethernet cable compared to when the two are connected to the same WiFi network? Don't you have to go to the Shared section in Finder sidebar and click on the icon representing the other machine to mount a share from that machine in both cases?

Speed. And if you don't have a wifi it requires no configuration whatsoever....

The OP talked about a keychain, clearly WiFi is plenty fast enough for that. And who does not have WiFi?

So one has to wonder why he asked if he could connect them via a USB cable...

Going into the shared section of the Finder sidebar and connecting to the second Mac being too complicated?

Wow!! I really didn't expect so many replies since I thought I had really asked a simple question for information which exploded into such a discussion.

Prior to posting my question regarding using USB to connect the two computers:
Yes, I have WiFi that I have used previously
Yes, I can/do/have gone to the shared section on the sidebar
Yes, I have used an Ethernet cable

All I intended to find out was if I could use a USB cable to connect the two computers together for file transfer!

Thanks for all of the information.

Vernon

-- hide signature --

Vernon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow