ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lollerberry
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Lens choice dilemma
Aug 13, 2012

Hello dpreview,

I've been researching lenses on these forums for quite a while, but still can't figure out what's what.

My camera is a d5100, and I already have the 35 1.8, 55-200 VR, as well as an old 18-55, without VR (from a previous d40x kit).

The problem is that, for all intents and purposes, it's the 18-55 that really gets the most use given the ranges I need. And that's the one without VR, and for my liking focuses too slowly.

What I'm really looking for is a general-purpose, simple walk-around lens to replace the old 18-55.

As far as I can tell, the 16-85 and the 17-55 (2.8!) are my choices if I wanted to get more upscale. But both are really heavy, especially the 17-55 at a whopping 26.6 oz. (755g). The 16-85 is better at 17.165 oz (486.6g). I like the fact that both have distance indicators on them too, not so with any of my other lenses.

Getting a new edition of 18-55 seems kind of an odd thing to do. Just to get VR and no more squeak as it focuses?

I'd like to stay with Nikon and not go the third-party route, I think.

Any advice would be appreciated, please be gentle

lollerberry's gear list:lollerberry's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600
Nikon D40X Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow